Marketing and Events Manager
Albany Area Chamber of Commerce
VALUES: Passion for Albany-Dougherty County; energetic and committed work ethic; willingness to change and adapt work to meet needs of various projects.
SUMMARY: Plan and implement marketing, public relations, and social media programs, both short and long range, targeted toward internal and external audiences; coordinate and execute chamber events by performing the following duties personally or coordinated with senior staff.
The Marketing and Events Manager is responsible for the Chamber’s communications efforts including managing the Chamber’s social media assets; marketing the Chamber’s initiatives, events and programs; promoting the community and members through social media and the Chamber’s Web site (albanyga.com); and managing outsourced marketing activities. This position creates content, and distributes and manages the chamber’s e-newsletters and Web site. This position interfaces with the chamber’s marketing agency that assists in production of the chamber’s award-winning magazine, Business, and other publications. This position works with members of staff to market, coordinate and executive monthly chamber events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Communications & Content
• Develops content for all Chamber marketing and communications vehicles, including chamber publications, Web site, social media assets and e-newsletter.
• Writes copy for invitations, events, reports, brochures and other materials, ensuring consistency of message.
• Manages the chamber’s local, regional and national media relations activities, including writing and distributing news releases to the media and coordinating chamber news conference, media interviews and briefings.
• Visits at least three chamber members per month for the purpose of building goodwill, gathering information to share on members’ needs and opinions, and developing content that promotes and is relevant to members and community.
Marketing & Advertising
• Develops and implements work plans to achieve strategic objectives
• Develops and manages marketing budgets
• Develops and designs advertising and promotional activities including print,digital, and collateral media pieces
• Coordinates market research and adjusts marketing strategy to meet market conditions
• Develops and coordinates the chamber’s local marketing campaign
• Monitors current trends in membership, economic development, and business services marketing
• Establishes and maintains relationships with business and community influencers, and key strategic partners
• Guides preparation of marketing activity reports, including annual report, and presents to management
• Establishes and maintains a consistent and attractive corporate image throughout all product lines, promotional materials, social media and events
• Represents the chamber at local, regional, and statewide meetings as a community ambassador
• Coordinates communication between chamber and contracted outside marketing agency
• Assists staff with research as needed for market analysis and for use in marketing materials
• Coordinates with staff and volunteers to ensure events -- including Business After Hours, Rise N Shines, luncheons and seminars -- are well executed, within budget and attractive
• Works with event site on set up, logistics, catering
• Manages all aspects of event set up and breakdown
The Marketing and Events Manager may work some weekends and a non-traditional work schedule, including overnight travel; attend conferences; and/or training classes. Out-of-state travel may be required. This position performs other related duties as required.
Works with staff to achieve chamber goals and objectives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty acceptably. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a field related to journalism and communications and at least three-five years of public relations, marketing or advertising experience preferred. Superior writing; computer and graphic design skills; basic journalism skills such as proofreading, photography, advertising, writing news releases, interviewing and working audio-visual equipment; ability to work with chamber staff; ability to handle diverse duties; and possess ability to work under pressure. Must be able to effectively interact with volunteers, the media and the public in a congenial manner. Ability to perform duties with minimum supervision is required.
LANGUAGE AND MATHEMATICAL SKILLS
Demonstrated relevant marketing techniques and general knowledge of financial principles; ability to communicate orally and in written form effectively.
Demonstrated ability to anticipate and solve practical problems and resolve issues.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATION
None required at this time.
Travel associated with position responsibilities. Reliable and independent transportation required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed and may require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day; may include lifting up to 50 pounds for moving materials, proper lifting techniques required. The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to manufacturing areas that require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection. Primary work environment: Ambient room temperatures, lighting and office equipment as found in a typical office environment.