|Nature of Work:
||Albany State University currently seeks candidates for the Communications Specialist position in the Office of University Marketing and Communications. This is a full-time public relations position responsible for developing and distributing news releases, feature stories, news articles, campus announcements, web content, and marketing content. This position will interact on a consistent basis with faculty, staff, students, media partners, and other internal and external audiences. Additionally, this position will provide editing support for marketing and communications material as needed. This role will report to the Senior Director of University Marketing and Communications.
|Training and Experience:
||INTERNAL CANDIDATES WHO MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field is required.
- Minimum of 2 years experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience) in writing and editing in a professional setting.
- Superb knowledge of AP Style (Associated Press Style).
- Successful candidate must be an experienced, talented writer and editor who can work on deadline in a fast-paced environment while managing multiple projects.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal and ability to build positive relationships with a wide variety of individuals and stakeholders).
- Ability to work independently and use sound judgment in decision making, including setting and managing priorities and meeting competing deadlines.
|Illustrative Examples of Work:
||Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Writing and Reporting
- Write, edit and publish 3-5 stories and/or news releases per week.
- Research, evaluate, and fact check story leads to develop story ideas.
- Establish and maintain relationships with expert faculty and staff members in various fields.
- Book and conduct interviews with story subjects (faculty, students, alumni, etc).
- Serve as liaison between the University community and the news media.
- Facilitate assigned interviews between campus stakeholders and external media outlets.
- Handle media inquiries and pitch story ideas to local, regional and national media.
- Assist faculty, staff and students = in preparing for contact with the media.
- Manage media monitoring system.
- Manage relationships with media partners.
- Maintain experts guide for media inquiries.
General Communications Support
- Assist with developing content for official university social media accounts.
- Develop and execute communications plans for major university events and initiatives.
- Assist in creating copy for marketing collaterals such as brochures, digital and print advertisement, and videos.
- Develop and distribute weekly faculty, staff, and student newsletters using Constant Contact.
- Create general email campaigns for internal and external audiences.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
(Screening of applications will begin at date shown and will continue until the position is filled.)
|Open Until Filled
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
||Please upload a minimum of three (3) writing samples that illustrate variety in writing style. Include a link to your work sample/portfolio, if available.
This position requires a background check.
||General Operating (State)
|Number of Openings:
|If Other, please denote the Name of a Grant:
||$30,000 - $40,000
|Facts About the Institution:
||Albany State University is a fully accredited senior unit of the University System of Georgia. Employees receive benefits provided by the University System of Georgia, including, but not limited to, hospital and major medical insurance, group life insurance, participation in the Georgia Teachers' Retirement System, Optional Retirement Plan (Faculty and exempt employees only), Social Security and Tuition Assistance Program after six months of employment. EEO/AA/Non-Discrimination Statement: Albany State University is an equal employment, equal access, equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution which adheres to all federal and state civil rights laws banning discrimination in public institutions of higher education. The University is committed to insuring equal opportunity to all students, employees, and applicants for employment or admission without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, physical or mental disabilities, or sexual orientation. It is the policy of Albany State University to comply with all federal laws, including the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 (Title II), Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Executive Order (E.O.) 11246, and all subsequent amendments and implementing regulations which prohibit discrimination as above described. In accordance with the requirements above, Albany State University affirmatively states that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, veteran status, disability or national origin in its employment and/or educational programs and activities. Albany State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. The University shall take action, to the extent allowed under state and federal law, to ensure fulfillment of this policy. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy, or to file a complaint regarding violation of this policy, please contact the Albany State University Office of Human Resources, 504 College Drive, Billy C. Black Building, Room 382, Albany, Georgia 31705, Director of Human Resources at 229-500-2026. Students requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Student Disability Services Center, New Student Center, 2nd Floor, Green Zone (Room 2-140), Dr. Stephanie Harris-Jolly, Director of Counseling and Student Disability Services, 229-500-3442.
||Applicants who have a disability and who need special services or facilities to apply or to interview should contact Human Resources at 229-430-4623. EEO/AA employer.
|Optional Applicant Documents:
|Required Applicant Documents:
|Application Types Accepted:
||Staff Employment Application
|Quicklink for Posting: